The sauce in this Easy Spaghetti Bolognese is so rich and thick. You can simmer the meat sauce for a couple of hours to bring out the beautiful depth of flavor. This recipe is so yummy and easy to make. It’s a simple version of an Italian classic that can be cooked from scratch and enjoyed by everyone.
Easy Spaghetti Bolognese (Meat Sauce)Print Recipe
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 carrot, chopped fine or grated
- 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can 28-ounce tomatoes, or 3 1/2 cups fresh or frozen, chopped
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons basil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a large saucepan and add the ground beef. Brown the meat, then remove it from the pan. If meat is fairly fat, set it in a colander to drain off the excess fat.
2. Add olive oil to the pan the beef was cooked in. Add the onions and cook for a few minutes. Do not brown the onions. Add the carrot, celery and garlic and cook for a few minutes more.
3. Return the beef to the pan. Add the oregano, basil and wine. (You can use red or white wine or no wine if you prefer.)
4. Heat the sauce through, then add the tomatoes, bay leaf and beef stock. Let the sauce cook for at least half an hour on low heat. It tastes best if you can let it cook for an hour to an hour and a half.
5. Serve over the pasta of your choice.
To ensure your beef stock is free of allergens and additives, make your own.