Do not spare your taco indulgences with this less greasy alternative. This alternative turkey taco filling is a guiltless option when on a diet, but you still want to devour a good serving of tacos.
- 500 grams of lean ground turkey
- 1 chopped red onion
- 2 cups of canned tomatoes, chopped, juice drained and kept aside
- ½ teaspoon of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of oregano
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon of freshly crushed pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- Mildly heat the olive oil, add garlic and onion.
- Once you get the aromas, add the spices–chilli, oregano, cumin and pepper.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir lightly.
- Finally, add the ground turkey, stir and cover, so the steam gives the meat moisture.
- After 5 to 7 minutes, add salt and taste. If the turkey is dry, you can add a few teaspoons of tomato juice at a time until you are happy with the moisture.
- Slather onto taco shells, and add avocado for a bit of indulgence.