In our household, we frequently have huge beef hamburgers, gooey and buttery scones, heaping plates of pasta, and cheesy burritos. But we also treat ourselves with healthy dishes like turkey burgers, whole wheat toast, zucchini spirals, and lettuce wraps. Thus we have my Sweet Thai Chili Turkey Lettuce Wraps — this tasty dish contains a very lean ground turkey, freshly chopped vegetables, water chestnuts, wraps of lettuce, and a sweet chili sauce.
This is a quick and easy dish to make – about 20 minutes, it tastes wonderful and is always a hit at our house.
Authentic Sweet Thai Chili Turkey Lettuce Wraps
- ½ pound ground turkey (minced turkey)
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 2 squirts sriracha - or more, if desired
- ½ large red pepper (red capsicum)
- ¼ medium white onion
- ½ medium zucchini - sliced lengthwise
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 medium iceberg lettuce - butter lettuce is best but iceberg or red leaf will do fine
- Start with browning the lean ground turkey over medium heat and sprinkling with salt and pepper. About a half-pound of ground turkey is perfect for two people. For an extra kick, I add a few squirts of Sriracha.
- While the ground turkey is browning, wash and prepare the vegetables – half of one red bell pepper, half a zucchini (sliced) and a 1/4 of one medium onion. Because I want my vegetables to be very fine, I used the food processor on the 1st setting.
- Next, add the water chestnuts and a clove of garlic, and send the final ingredients on a final spin in the processor. Wheeeeee!!
- Once the vegetables are finely chopped, add them to a pan of oil that has been preheated to medium-high.
- Gently stir for about a minute and then reduce heat to medium.
- Add the browned ground turkey to the pan, and stir a few times. Add the desired amount of Sweet Thai Chili Sauce. I let the flavors meld for a few minutes.
- Remove from heat, and serve on lettuce leaves.