Tender cabbage leaves, stuffed with a mix of spiced rice and beef, and infused with the combined flavours of garlic and lemon, spawn the juiciest and most delicious rolls you will ever eat! Serve malfoof with a side of Greek yogurt and impress your family and guests!
Appetizing Malfoof (Stuffed Cabbage)
Love cabbage? This malfoof recipe is a must-try for you! This is a relatively easy dish that you will enjoy making at home.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 cup rice
- 1½ pounds ground beef (minced beef)
- 2 bulbs garlic - minced
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cardamom
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- In a bowl, add 1 tablespoon of salt, the rice, and hot water (from the tap) and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- Place the cabbage on a cutting board to core side up.
- Beginning at the core, make 4 vertical cuts across the cabbage.
- Fill pot with water and 2 tablespoons of vinegar and boil.
- Once it reaches a boil, lower the heat and add the cabbage.
- Every 3 minutes, use a tong to remove one layer of the cabbage and place it in a colander to drain (you will need to make more vertical cuts as the cabbage boils).
- Rinse the rice (that has been soaking) in a rice colander and drain.
- Add the rice, meat, spices, and one garlic bulb (that has been minced) to a mixing bowl and combine.
- Use a knife to remove the ribs off of the cabbage leaves.
- Line your cooking pot with the ribs.
- Place one leaf at a time on a plate or cutting board (longer side facing you).
- Add 1 tablespoon of filling onto the edge of each leaf (the longer side facing you).
- Roll the leaf over the stuffing once before folding it in from the left and the right.
- Continue to roll the leaf tightly until you have rolled the entire leaf
- Stack the stuffed cabbage rolls, seam side down, in your pot.
- Once you’re done stuffing, boil water (about 7 cups) in a water boiler.
- In the meantime, add 1 cup of lemon juice and the other garlic bulb (that has been minced) to your pot.
- Add the boiled water to your pot (just below the top layer of stuffed cabbage rolls).
- Turn your stove on high heat.
- Once the water reaches a boil in the pot, lower the heat, cover the stuffed cabbage rolls with a plate (backside up), and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Calories: 558kcalCarbohydrates: 59gProtein: 41gFat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 111mgSodium: 3647mgPotassium: 1126mgFiber: 8gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 242IUVitamin C: 108mgCalcium: 160mgIron: 6mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!