Nothing helps keep me full and satisfied like a big bowl of warm, vegetable-filled homemade caraway soup. I wanted to make one that was extremely healthy and low in calories. I added meat to the soup because I wanted the ‘staying power that protein provides while keeping the fat level very low. That’s the main reason I opted to use lean ground turkey as opposed to ground pork or beef, but you could use whatever ground meat you like or even leave the meat out for a vegetarian version!
Amazing Ground Turkey, Cabbage and Caraway Soup
This ground turkey, cabbage and caraway soup is a homemade soup you should try if you love the flavor of caraway seeds.
- 1 cup ground turkey (minced turkey) - lean
- 5 cups cabbage - shredded or diced
- ½ cup yellow onion - diced
- 1 cup carrot - large dice
- 3 cups spinach - shredded
- 28 ounces tomato - diced
- 8 cups chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic - minced
- ½ cup parsley - chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Get all of your vegetables ready for cooking. Using a coffee grinder or mortar and pestle, crush the caraway seeds (if you don’t have either, you can wrap them in plastic wrap and bang them with the back of a knife handle).
- In a pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Cook onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, carrot, salt, pepper, crushed caraway seeds and turkey and cook, often stirring, breaking up turkey meat as you stir for about 3 minutes.
- Add half the parsley, cabbage, canned tomato and chicken stock and simmer on low heat until cabbage is softened for around 10 minutes.
- Add spinach and the rest of the parsley and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Taste the soup and adjust seasoning as desired.
Calories: 212kcalCarbohydrates: 22gProtein: 21gFat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 2427mgPotassium: 1184mgFiber: 7gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 9891IUVitamin C: 79mgCalcium: 130mgIron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.