For our family, part of the club’s draw is the bi-monthly potluck dinners. We love gathering with our young and old neighbours to share a dinner. It has been a blessing for our sons to grow up knowing their neighbours and experiencing the good homestyle meals of our potluck dinners. And this week, I brought Creamy Swedish Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy.
The challenge every other week for me is figuring out what to bring for the potluck. Some excellent home cooks bring incredible dishes, so I always feel obligated to ensure I get a quality dish!
This week I struck gold with my Creamy Swedish Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy. But, of course, I came home with an empty dish (always a good sign) and multiple requests for the recipe (another great sign!).
I also included the recipe for the Creamy Mushroom Beef Gravy. The recipe makes 2 cups, so you’ll want to multiply it to make enough for all your meatballs. It is so easy to make that the thought of buying commercial gravy is just silly! This gravy can be used for so many other dishes too. It is great for roast beef, mashed potatoes and hashbrowns! It is plate-lickin’ good!
Creamy Swedish Meatballs With Mushroom Gravy Recipe
Creamy Mushroom Beef Gravy Ingredients
- 4 ½ tablespoons butter
- ½ cup mushrooms chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon parsley fresh chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 3 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 4 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 3 cups Panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ tablespoon dill weed dried
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon black pepper ground
Creamy Mushroom Beef Gravy Instructions
- In a skillet, melt 1/2 tablespoon of butter over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and onions. Saute until mushrooms begin to brown. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt the remaining butter and then stir in the flour. Whisk this mixture and cook it one more minute when it begins bubbling.
- Whisk in the beef broth. Now, stir or whisk until the mixture thickens to a gravy consistency.
- Add the mushroom and onion mixture, parsley, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir until well incorporated. Serve warm.
Meatballs Instructions Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with tin foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and gently mix until everything is evenly incorporated. Be careful not to mix too much, you want fluffy meatballs, and if you overmix, you’ll toughen the meat.
- Begin making golf-ball (or slightly smaller) sized balls and place each one on your prepared baking sheet. For example, on my 1/2 cake sheet pan, I can quickly get 24 meatballs on it.
- Once you have all the meatballs formed and on the baking sheet, bake the meatballs for 15 to 20 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Put the Mushroom Gravy into a large bowl and place the meatballs into the gravy. Gently stir to cover the meatballs with gravy. Serve on top of egg noodles or mashed potatoes.