Grilled meatballs are excellent to nibble at as long as you “get them right” so they are fluffy and delicious. In this recipe, the secret is to leave the minced meat in the fridge for several hours. I usually serve them with potato wedges but you can also accompany them with french fries or rice.
Grilled Meatballs With Potato Wedges
- 1.2 lb ground beef (minced beef)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 red onion - grated on a grater
- 1 tbsp mint - finely chopped
- 3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- 1 garlic bulb - grated
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lemon juice - squeezed one lemon
- 4 lb potatoes
- 1 tbsp parsley - finely chopped
- 1 tsp paprika
- 4 tbsp butter
Forming the meatballs
- Start with a large bowl and add the ground beef, onion, garlic and mint (finely chopped), along with the breadcrumbs, egg, pepper and salt.1.2 lb ground beef (minced beef), 3 red onion, 1 tbsp mint, 3 tbsp dried breadcrumbs, 1 tsp ground black pepper, 1 garlic bulb, 1 egg, 1 tsp salt
- Knead long enough to make the mixture as fluffy as possible.
- Then cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
When ready to cook
- Cut the potatoes into wedges and place in the over sprinkled with paprika at about 200 degrees Celsius. These will take about 40 to 60m minutes to cook and crisp but keep an eye on them and vary the time depending on your oven and how crispy you want the wedges. Add some butter to the tray for non stick and flavour.4 lb potatoes, 1 tsp paprika, 4 tbsp butter
- When it's time for cooking, take the mince out of the fridge and shape it into big meatballs.
- Grill them on the barbecue; otherwise, place them on the rack in the oven at the grill mode. It takes around 15 minutes to cook and you need to turn them as much as necessary (usually 2 or 3 times.)
- Blend lemon juice and olive oil in a small bowl and drizzle over the meatballs.1 lemon juice
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with potatoes wedges.1 tbsp parsley