I was never a fan of the famous boxed macaroni. I think it’s because my Mom has always made the most delicious homemade stuff, and for that, I’ve been eternally spoiled. And let’s just face it; powdered cheese is scary. THat’s why I’m sharing this special recipe for roasted cauliflower baked mac and cheese with you today.
I even managed to get the man of the house on board with this lightened-up mac. I loved the addition of cauliflower. I think it’s a great way for Mom’s to sneak in an extra dose of veggies into their picky families lives. Just make sure not to skip the roasting part. This gives the cauliflower that extra boost of deliciousness. And it was the shining star in this roasted cauliflower baked mac and cheese.
Enjoyable Roasted Cauliflower Baked Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni - whole wheat
- 2 cups cauliflower - florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 cup chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon) - low sodium
- 1 cup ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese - shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese - shredded
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray an 8×11 baking dish with some cooking spray and set it aside.
- Toss cauliflower onto a baking sheet and roast for about 25 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Let it boil for 2 minutes. Add in chicken stock, chicken, and spices. Let simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- Now whisk in flour and milk. Let the mixture thicken and simmer for about 5 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Now add in cooked pasta, 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and cauliflower. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the pasta mixture into the baking dish and top with all the remaining cheeses.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until cheese is golden brown and bubbly.