This chilli macaroni casserole is a vintage recipe with a layer of creamy macaroni which your family will love. I learned this recipe from my roommate back in college. So, for a fun and flavorful weekend, I love to prepare this delicious recipe.
Chili Macaroni CasserolePrint Recipe
- 1 package of elbow macaroni
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- ½ cup of onion, chopped
- 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- 4 ½ ounces of tomatoes, diced
- 15 ounces of kidney beans/rajma, rinsed and drained
- 14 ounces of whole kernel corns
- 1 package of taco seasoning mix
- 1 package of chilli seasoning mix
- 1 can of condensed cheddar cheese soup
- 1 canned milk
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ½ teaspoon of garlic powder
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of tortilla chips, crushed
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- Water as required
- ½ cup of sour cream, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Fill a pot with lightly salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in the macaroni when the water boils.
- Cook the macaroni uncovered, occasionally stirring until the macaroni has cooked through but still firm to bite for about 8 minutes.
- Drain it well in a colander and set it in the sink.
- Now over medium heat in a large skillet, cook the ground beef with onion or until the meat is browned for about 10 minutes.
- Crumble the meat up into crumbles as it cooks.
- Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, taco seasoning and chilli seasoning and let boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, occasionally stirring for about 20 minutes.
- Whisk the cheddar cheese soup and milk in the saucepan over medium-low heat and boil it until it smoothens.
- Whisk in 1 cup of shredded cheese, ½ cup of sour cream and garlic powder and season it with salt and black pepper.
- Now arrange the cooked macaroni into the bottom of a 10 X 15-inch baking dish and mix with the soup mixture.
- Then pour the ground beef chilli over the macaroni and sprinkle with 1 more cup shredded cheddar cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
- Bake it in a preheated oven until the casserole is hot and bubbling and the cheese topping has melted, for about 20 to 30 minutes.