I have really been craving some macaroni and cheese lately, so I decided to make a lighter version of the sinful dish. This baked broccoli mac and cheese is a family go-to comfort food. It’s so tasty that no one says “No” to this!
Baked Broccoli Mac and CheesePrint Recipe
- 1 box (12-13 ounces) of whole wheat pasta
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped
- 2 cups of minced beef
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of skim milk
- 1 cup of reduced-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 cups (8 ounces) of shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 1/4 cup of seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cayenne pepper to taste
- Cook pasta for about 7 minutes in salted, boiling water, and add broccoli for 7 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion in melted butter over medium-low heat for approximately 2 minutes, and then add the beef and let brown.
- Add the flour and combine for an additional minute. Pour milk and chicken broth, bring to a boil, and whisk for about 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper while the mixture is boiling. Remove from heat, and add cheddar cheese, combining until melted.
- Add cheese sauce to broccoli and pasta, adjust salt and pepper, and pour into a sprayed dish. Top with breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese, and then bake in your 375-degree heated oven for 15 minutes.