One of my favourite dishes is baked chicken Parmesan. I try to experiment with at least one new recipe each week, and earlier this year, I stumbled upon a Baked Chicken Parmesan Meatball dish. I made it with a spinach orzo salad, and my husband devoured it. And I did too!
So I decided to take my swing at this parmesan meatball bake by making a few modifications. I love a little kick in my Italian dishes, so I don’t shy away from adding in some crushed red pepper flakes! And one of my favourite pasta sauces is Classico Spicy Red Pepper Sauce, which I use in this recipe.
Healthy Chicken Parmesan Meatball Bake
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 1 medium egg
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning - dried
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup breadcrumbs - whole-wheat, unseasoned
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 5 ounces spinach - chopped
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese - reduced-fat shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine ground chicken, egg, garlic, onion powder, Italian seasoning, crushed red pepper flakes, whole wheat breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup of marinara sauce, grated Parmesan cheese, and spinach in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop or bare hands, form into 20 meatballs and place on a baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While meatballs are baking, spray a 9×13 casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray and spread 3/4 cup of marinara sauce to the dish.
- Once the meatballs are done cooking, transfer to the baking dish. Top with the marinara sauce left and cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Serve warm.