Today I’ve prepared something classic for you – Chicken Soup with Dumplings!
It’s a meal that warmed up our childhoods; there was no week without it for lunch! In our families, this soup was one of their trademarks – especially our grandmothers’. It was either the chicken soup with dumplings or chicken soup with noodles. And let us tell you all that those noodles were made right inside the kitchen. Everything was handmade. Well, maybe because – especially in our region – there weren’t so many products in shops that would ease up the cooking process (such as baking products, already-made dough, or even noodles).
This is why sometimes we still want to make our own dough for tarts or pizzas. Whenever we have guests, people ask us, “Where did you get the dough from?” so imagine our looks. And afterwards, imagine theirs when we tell them that we’ve done it ourselves.
And this is why we made the chicken soup with dumplings because it was easier than the noodles. Since we are too used to the homemade ones, we wouldn’t have tolerated cooking a soup with a market pack of noodles. So it’s not snobbish rubbish; it’s nostalgia!
Maybe, when we have the time and the perfect machine for the noodle making, we’ll do some of those too! But until then, let’s cook some dumpling soup!
Chicken Soup With DumplingsPrint Recipe
- 1 pound of minced chicken breast
- 2-3 carrots
- 1/4 celery
- 2 parsnips
- 1 onion
- 1 egg
- 70 grams of semolina
- Pinch of salt
- Add the sliced chicken into a stockpot and let them boil.
- After 20 minutes, add the vegetables and let them boil for another 40 minutes.
- Mix the egg with the semolina and the salt and let them rest for 10 minutes.
- Take out the chicken and vegetables (leave the carrots).
- Add the dumpling mixture, one half a spoon at a time, in the stockpot.
- Wait until they double their size.