The Best Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 large cans of tomato sauce
- 1 large can of tomato puree
- 2 large cans of Italian seasoned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of each: oregano, sweet basil, minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon of: chopped red pepper and parsley flakes
- 3 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. In an extra-large pot, brown ground beef, onion and pepper in a small amount of olive oil. Once the ground beef is cooked, mix the remaining ingredients.
2. Add 1 to 2 cans of water to the mixture, depending on how thick you want it. It will cook down some too. Just use the cans that the tomato sauce or puree came in. This is a good way to get everything out of the cans as well! Simmer for 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.
3. When you’re done, you can freeze it in any freezer-safe container, using the size that best fits your needs. Date them, so you know how long you’ve had them.