While bacon-wrapped meatloaf is amazing on its own, you can also check out these other meatloaf recipes for easy and delicious meal planning. Lining the baking sheet with foil makes it clean.
This Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf is inspired by my meatloaf recipe. I made some tweaks, like adding buttery, caramelized onions to my meat mixture and wrapping them. This super easy meatloaf recipe will definitely become a family favourite for sure! You can have this using 15 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
My meatloaf is back and better than ever! It is full of flavour, some hidden veggies, and wrapped with delicious thick-cut bacon! Barbeque sauce-infused meatloaf is wrapped with bacon strips for a flavorful and rich twist on the traditional meatloaf. This Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf recipe is easy enough to cook up for weeknight dinners, but also impressive enough for a dinner party! This Bacon Wrapped Meatloaf is pure comfort food!
The Best Bacon-Wrapped Meatloaf Recipe
TO MAKE THE MEATLOAF:
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - 85% preferred
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ medium yellow onion - chopped
- 2 medium egg
- ½ cup ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons thyme - dry
- 1 cup cheddar cheese - shredded
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 6 slices bacon
TO MAKE THE GLAZE TOPPING:
- ¼ cup ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- ½ tablespoon mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Saute onions in butter until soft.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Add dry spices, ketchup, onions and cheese. Mix.
- Crumble ground beef in a bowl. Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Mix GENTLY to incorporate all ingredients. (mixing aggressively or squeezing and squishing will give you an end result of tough meat.) The mixture will feel fairly wet but should still hold together. Only add more bread crumbs if it doesn’t hold.
- Put mixture in a baking dish. Form into a loaf. (Your dish should be larger than your loaf so it isn’t drowning in grease).
- Lay slices of bacon across the top of the loaf until it is completely covered.
- Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes. If your bacon is not fully crisp at this point then turn the oven to broil for a few minutes until crispy.
- While your loaf is cooking, mix all the glaze ingredients in a small bowl.
- Slather the glaze on top of crispy bacon and cook at 350°F for about 5-10 minutes until hot.
- You can sprinkle a little cheese on top for garnish.
- Transfer loaf to the cutting board removing any fat that has accumulated on the bottom of the loaf. Slice and enjoy.