This meatball stew is a meal in every bowl. These meatballs are succulent, chewy and ever so hearty! I love this stew, as it satisfies you without making you feel uncomfortably full. It’s filled with healthy ingredients and tastes as it comes straight from the heart.
Swimming Meatball StewPrint Recipe
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ cup of breadcrumbs or Panko Crumbs
- 2 tablespoons of cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons of yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ pound of lean ground beef
- 2 1/3 cups of beef broth
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 1 6-ounce can of tomato paste
- 1 cup of fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- ¼ cup of canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup of canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 ½ tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoon of ground dried thyme
- ¼ tablespoon of kosher salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon of ground dried cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of granulated white sugar
- ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ¾ cup of elbow dried macaroni or bowtie pasta
- 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh basil
- 2 cups of fresh bunch spinach, roughly chopped
- Roll up your sleeves and mix egg, breadcrumbs, cilantro, parmesan, onions, nutmeg, grated garlic, ground beef, a pinch of salt and pepper in a large bowl with your clean hands.
- Create small ½ inch size balls with the mixture. Keep dabbing your hands with water so as not to get too sticky. Lay each ball one by one on a large plate one by one.
- Drizzle olive oil on a large skillet over low, medium heat.
- Place all meatballs on the skillet, cooking over medium heat for about 10 minutes. Give the skillet a shake every few minutes, moving the meatballs around. Place a paper towel on a clean large plate. One by one, remove meatballs and place them on the plate.
- Combine beef broth, water, mushrooms, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, garlic, oregano, thyme, sugar, and cinnamon in a large pot. Bring to boil and add the pasta.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, then and then add in meatballs, spinach and basil. Cook for additional 20 minutes on a low setting.
- Serve in individual bowls garnished with parsley or cilantro.