This is an excellent and simple slow cooker beef casserole. It doesn’t need anything to go with it because of the large amounts of vegetables. However, it throws off a lot of sauce, so if mashed potatoes are your thing, go for it!
Easy Slow Cooker Beef Casserole Recipe
- 8 medium carrots - peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 8 small celery stalks - cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 kilogram ground beef (minced beef)
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 250 ml red wine
- 500 ml beef stock (beef broth or beef bouillon)
- 400 grams tomatoes - chopped
- 2 tablespoons passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed)
- 3 pinches chili flakes (chilli flakes in British English)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Place the carrots and celery in the bowl of your slow cooker.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large pan and brown the beef in batches, removing each batch to a bowl once browned. Next, sauté the onions until soft and starting to colour. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle in flour and continue to cook, stirring. If it starts to catch, add a splash of stock. Continue to stir, add the wine splash by splash, pour in the stock, and cook uncovered until the mixture has thickened and reduced. This is important to get rid of the alcohol.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients and the beef, bring the mixture to a simmer, then pour it over the carrots and celery in the slow cooker bowl. Give everything a good stir, cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours.