This beef and cauliflower bake recipe was inspired by a Baked Italian-style Cauliflower I saw from Pinterest. I tweaked it a little, using more meat, cutting the bread crumbs, using crushed tomatoes, herbs, and balsamic vinegar in place of prepared sauce, and adding a solid punch of spinach. Finally, I baked instead of broiled.
Filling Beef and Cauliflower Bake
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion - diced
- 3 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - lean
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 dash Sea salt
- 1 dash red pepper (red capsicum) - crushed
- 14 ounces passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup black olives - sliced
- 4 cups spinach - chopped
- 1 medium cauliflower - cut into florets
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- Heat a pan over medium heat and coat with oil. Add onion, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to heat, stirring, 30 seconds more.
- Add meat to pan. Cook, stirring, to brown, then stir in seasoning blend, salt, and pepper.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, water, vinegar, spinach and olives into the meat mixture. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Steam cauliflower until crisp-tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Place in a casserole or baking dish (I used 9×13) coated with cooking spray. Top with sauce and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake the beef casserole at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes.