When you think of autumn, what foods come to mind? For me, stuffed bell peppers are the front runner. There’s nothing like the flavors of roasted peppers and the oh-so-customizable filling that goes inside. I’ve been tweaking that filling for years, and I think I found a winner as my “go-to” recipe. Behold, Italian Style Stuffed Bell Peppers!
I rightfully declared they are done Italian style because I added Italian sausage, parsley, onion, and garlic. It’s a rustic dish that compliments the fall season as the leaves turn colors. If you don’t have a fall season, then I’m sorry.
The best part about these Italian style stuffed bell peppers is that you can customize your colors. I like a couple of shades of each kind.
Gourmet Italian Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 6 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - different colours
- 2 links Italian sausage (American name for Pork Sausage with Fennel Seeds)
- 1 pound ground beef
- ⅔ cup parsley - chopped
- ½ cup green onions (scallions or green shallots) - chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups white rice
- 1 cup tomato - pureed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the rice according to directions and clean/ parboil the bell peppers for 4 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from casings and combine with the beef in a large skillet to brown for about 8 minutes. Add in the diced parsley, diced green onion, diced garlic, salt and pepper, and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the pureed tomatoes and stir in the white rice.
- Stuff each of the bell peppers and place in a raised baking dish. Add enough water to cover the bottom of the baking dish. This helps with moisture. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the stuffed bell peppers from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.