I have tough days physically during damp, windy conditions when I feel deeply chilled. What is a better remedy for those days than a warm, hearty bowl of chili? I love ground buffalo meat (bison) and wanted to create a paleo Bison Sweet Potato Chili. With roasted sweet potato and carrot, as well as plenty of mushrooms, I hit the right blend of veggies to fill this dish with warmth and nourishment.
Heavenly Bison Sweet Potato Chili
I love ground buffalo meat (bison) and wanted to create a paleo Bison Sweet Potato Chili. So, here's the recipe.
- 1 medium sweet onion - diced
- 2 medium sweet potato - diced
- 1 medium green pepper (green capsicum) - chopped
- 1 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - chopped
- ½ cup carrots - chopped
- 24 ounces mushrooms - sliced
- 1 can tomato - small can, diced no salt added and organic
- 1 can passata or crushed tomatoes (tomato puree with seeds removed) - large can crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water - or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes - crushed
- ½ teaspoon cumin - smoked paprika, thyme
- First, preheat the oven to 375°F.
- On a baking sheet, Place sweet potato and carrot and drizzle them with olive oil. Roast your potato and carrots for 20-30 minutes until they are soft.
- While veggies are roasting, sauté onion, garlic, and bell peppers until onion is translucent.
- Add bison to the pot, crumbling into the pot, so it breaks up, then add seasoning and sauté until bison is no longer pink.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms, and a cup of water or broth to the pot and bring to a simmer.
- As soon as the roasted vegetables are soft, remove them from the oven and add to the simmering chili.
- Cover and continue to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally
- Serve with guacamole or sliced avocado.
Calories: 391kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 26gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 547mgPotassium: 1081mgFiber: 5gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 9620IUVitamin C: 25mgCalcium: 69mgIron: 5mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.