I have tough days physically during damp, windy conditions when I feel deeply chilled. What is a better remedy for those days than a warm, hearty bowl of chili? I love ground buffalo meat (bison) and wanted to create a paleo Bison Sweet Potato Chili. With roasted sweet potato and carrot, as well as plenty of mushrooms, I hit the right blend of veggies to fill this dish with warmth and nourishment.
Heavenly Bison Sweet Potato ChiliPrint Recipe
- 2 pounds of ground bison
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 12-ounce containers of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 small can diced no salt added organic tomatoes
- 1 large can of crushed San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, smoked paprika, thyme
1. First, preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. On a baking sheet, Place sweet potato and carrot and drizzle them with olive oil. Roast your potato and carrots for 20-30 minutes until they are soft.
3. While veggies are roasting, sauté onion, garlic, and bell peppers until onion is translucent.
4. Add bison to the pot, crumbling into the pot, so it breaks up, then add seasoning and sauté until bison is no longer pink.
5. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, and a cup of water or broth to the pot and bring to a simmer.
6. As soon as the roasted vegetables are soft, remove them from the oven and add to the simmering chili.
7. Cover and continue to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally
8. Serve with guacamole or sliced avocado.