You can cook the meatloaf using 11 ingredients and 2 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Guilt-Free Easy Italian MeatloafPrint Recipe
- TO MAKE THE MEATLOAF:
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs, without HFCS
- 1 pound ground beef (80-85% lean)
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, shredded
- 2 large eggs
- 2-3 ounces pancetta, thinly sliced and chopped
- TO MAKE THE MEATLOAF TOPPING:
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup ketchup (without HFCS)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- If tolerated, tomato paste and tomato sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Stir breadcrumbs and milk together in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
2. Spray the bottom and sides of the pie plate or pan with non-stick cooking spray. Put the beef mixture into the plate or pan and spread evenly. Mix topping ingredients and spread evenly on top of the beef mixture. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes. Let the meatloaf rest 5 minutes prior to serving.
- I like having a tomato sauce-type topping on my meatloaf. I have found that I am able to add an 8-ounce can of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of tomato paste to the sauce without any ill effects.
- I usually use lactose-free milk for this meatloaf, but if I am out, I will use unsweetened almond milk. It does not alter the taste of the meatloaf, so it makes a great substitute. You could also use light whipping cream or regular milk.
- Double this recipe, so you have plenty of leftovers for lunch the next day or dinner the next night.
Ways to use the leftovers:
- Meatloaf sandwiches
- Leftover meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes
- Spaghetti and meat sauce – Combine jarred marinara sauce and crumbled leftover meatloaf. Heat well. Serve with pasta.