Tamale Pie is one of those comfort food recipes, and it was one of our favorites. It is also one of the few casserole-type dishes you can get your kids to eat by telling them that the cornbread on top is cake. I like to make this Beef Tamale Pie because I love meals that finish in the oven, giving me time to clean up the kitchen while it bakes.
Delicious Beef Tamale PiePrint Recipe
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small chopped onion
- 1.25 pounds ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 14-ounce cans of whole kernel corn, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder (plus more to suit your taste)
- 1 egg for cornbread topping
- 1 box Jiffy Corn Muffin mix
- 1-2 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup, plus 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Drain the tomatoes and corn almost all the way. A little liquid left is ok. Put the tomatoes, corn, salt, and chili powder in a pot on medium-low to simmer.
3. In a large skillet, sauté the onions in butter. Add the meat and cook until brown, then drain it.
4. Add the tomato/corn mixture to the meat and stir. Taste to see if it needs more chili powder or salt.
5. Mix up the Jiffy mix according to the directions on the back of the box, adding 1-2 teaspoons of sugar (optional). Add a few tablespoons of milk to thin it out until it is about as thin as a pancake mix. Let it sit to rise for 3-4 minutes while you pour the meat mixture into a skillet.
6. Re-stir the cornbread mix and pour it over the top of the meat. Sprinkle a good handful of shredded cheddar over the top (optional). Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes, until the top begins to brown and a knife stuck in the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
Top with sour cream if desired.