I have to have breakfast, lunch, and dinner for a crew of between 5 and 10 people on a family weekend (which is 3 to 5 days). On one of our last meals, I took ground beef to make hamburgers. For some unknown reason, I took too much ground beef. I didn’t want to waste it, so this is the kitchen sink meatloaf recipe I came up with. I had cooked some caramelized onions, sautéed some mushrooms to go on the hamburgers the night before, and had some leftovers.
I also had some barbecue sauce that some of us put on the hamburgers. So, I just started grabbing leftovers and throwing them in the meatloaf – everything but the kitchen sink! My motorhome has a convection oven, so baking is easy.
I have to tell you, I don’t like cold meatloaf or mushrooms, and I ate this kitchen sink meatloaf like there was no tomorrow! The only thing I would do differently is chopped the mushrooms. They were just a little too big left whole. Otherwise, it was a hit with the crew for lunch sandwiches and had a great flavour.
Easy Kitchen Sink Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- ¼ cup yellow onion - caramelized
- ¼ cup mushrooms - sautéed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK) - plus extra for the top
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 slice bread - crust removed
- ¼ cup milk
- Put all of the enumerated ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix with your hands until all the ingredients are well mixed together.
- Form a meatloaf shape. Place in pan and spread some ketchup on top. You can use barbecue sauce in place of the ketchup.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve hot or cold in sandwiches.