When I am in a hurry, which is really most of the time, I appreciate the versatility of country meatloaf: it’s a hearty meal that is great fresh out of the oven, in a sandwich, or even a cold snack with a good squirt of ketchup. I also love to prepare meatloaf in individual serving ramekins; the kids like it, and this way, everyone can top the meatloaf with whatever they want.
My husband drizzles it with Tabasco, whereas the kids go for shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese! I think this country meatloaf recipe is so versatile, you can add anything you want as toppings.
Easy and Simple Country Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion - finely chopped
- 1 cup parsley - coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic - mashed
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese - grated
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup milk
- 4 slices bread - coarsely chopped
- 2 large egg - lightly beaten
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 1 pound ground pork (minced pork)
- 1 pound ground lamb (minced lamb)
- ½ cup ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Heat a medium sauté pan over medium heat, and swirl in the oil to coat the pan. Lightly sauté the onions for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Add the parsley and garlic, then reduce the heat to low. Stir continuously to mix well. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese, salt, and pepper. Set the mixture aside to cool.
- In a bowl, pour milk over bread and let it soak for a minute or two. Add the eggs, beef, pork, lamb, ½ cup of ketchup, and the onion-cheese mixture. Carefully combine with your hands until it just comes together.
- Try not to overmix, or the finished texture will be too dense. Divide the mixture in half, form it into two logs, and place them into an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan. Don’t over-press; just pat the mixture into place.
- Bake the meatloaves for about 45 minutes and remove them from the oven to brush the tops of the loaves with the remaining ketchup. Return the meatloaves to the oven to bake until cooked through, about 15 minutes, or until the temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit and the juices run clear. Remove the meatloaf from the oven and let it rest for about 7 minutes before turning the loaves out of their pans. Slice to your desired thickness and serve.
- If you use ground turkey, the temperature must reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit, which usually takes an extra 10 minutes. But check it at the 60-minute baking point just to be sure.