I love salmon so much, so I will be cooking these easy and delicious salmon fish cakes today.
High in omega-3, salmon is an essential addition to your weekly meal plan. Omega-3 supports a healthy brain, and nervous system function keeps joints in good working order, and has the potential to lower bad cholesterol and prevent heart disease. Omega-3 also has an anti-inflammatory effect and may reduce or prevent conditions such as asthma and joint pain.
To gain these benefits, some nutritionists suggest eating salmon (and other foods high in omega-3, such as tuna, sardines, and avocado) about two to three times a week.
Here’s a fun and innovative way to include more salmon into your little one’s diet. Using a little mashed potato not only helps the cakes bind together but also moderates the flavor of the salmon (useful if your children are sensitive to the strong taste of salmon). These salmon fish cakes make delicious finger food or a main course paired with vegetables and fruits.
Easy and Delicious Salmon Fish Cakes
- 1 large potatoes - Russet
- 120 grams salmon fillets - fresh
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 5 tablespoons milk - warm
- 1 sprinkle Sea salt
- 1 sprinkle ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill - finely minced
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK) - plain
- Lightly season the salmon with sea salt and pepper.
- Steam or poach salmon until it is just cooked.
- Use a fork to flake the salmon and set it aside to cool.
- Boil or steam potato until soft.
- Peel the skin off the potato while it is still warm. Mash the potato with a fork, adding the butter.
- Stir in the warm milk and mash until the potato mixture is smooth and combined. If the mixture is too dry, add extra milk by a tablespoon if needed.
- Add sea salt and minced dill to the potato and mix.
- Add the flaked salmon to the mashed potato and stir to combine. The mixture should be moderately moist but not wet.
- To shape the fish cakes, dust your hands with flour and roll small handfuls of the mixture into your desired shape.
- Cover the patties with flour and toss between both hands to remove any excess.
- Lightly pan-fry on low heat till golden brown.