I’m not a fish eater myself, but I love to cook for my family, and it is something they love! These delicious fish cakes from scratch are no different. They gobble it up each time I make them! Full of flavor on the inside and crispy on the outside, served with a delicious homemade sauce that will compliment almost any dish!
You’ll love making fish cakes from scratch when you are looking for a way to bond with your kids and family. It’s an activity you can enjoy as you spend time with your loved ones. Enjoy!
Amazing Fish Cakes From Scratch and Dipping Sauce
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ medium avocado
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley
Fish Cake Ingredients
- ½ cup milk
- 3 leaves basil
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ cup all purpose flour (plain flour Australia and UK)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 medium egg
- Combine the ingredients in a bowl and smush them together to create a smooth sauce! Place in fridge.
Fish Cake Instructions
- First, remove the fish from the package and place it into a pan on med-high with the milk and bay leaves. Cover the pan until the milk comes to a boil. Turn the heat down and leave it to cook for five minutes. Remove from the heat, keep covered, and leave it to rest for ten minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the cooked fish from the milk and place it on a dish where the excess milk can drain off.
- Peel and dice the potatoes, and place in boiling water until a fork can pierce through. Do not overcook into mush!
- Mash the potatoes with lemon zest, parsley, salt, pepper, and thyme. Taste it, and make sure you like the flavor! Place to the side.
- Pull the fish apart into the potato mixture, not too small; you want to taste those chunks of fish!
- Shape the fish cakes into patty shapes, 1-inch thick, on a floured surface.
- Place the cake into the mixed egg in a shallow dish and coat, then move it to the bread crumbs and coat. Place into freezer for fifteen minutes.
- Heat oil on med-high heat and place the fish cakes into the hot oil. Cook until the bottom is golden brown, flip it over, and cook the other side until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and place on a napkin to soak up any excess oil.
- Serve with a side of sauce, and enjoy!
- Cook fish in milk and water with bay leaves.
- Remove fish from pan.
- Cook potatoes and drain well.
- Add seasoning to the potatoes, as well as the fish.
- Shape into patties on a floured surface.
- Coat patty with egg.
- Coat in crumbs.
- Place fish cakes in hot oil.
- Turn when golden brown.
- Mix sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix sauce through.