This recipe for chilli and lemon crab cakes was born when I was wandering around the supermarket the other day and found a tin of crabmeat. They’re high in protein, so they will keep you full for a long time and really delicious. I served mine with a large side salad. They’re gluten-free, paleo, and lactose-free and can be made with store-cupboard ingredients for a leisurely, healthy lunch! They could be made in advance and taken with you for an on-the-go meal/snack.
As with all my recipes, the combinations are endless. You could use a different canned fish, like tuna or salmon, and change the spices – taking out the chilli if you’re not a fan of spice for example. I hope you enjoy making these chilli and lemon crab cakes.
Amazing Chilli and Lemon Crab Cakes Recipe
- Shred the crab meat into a bowl
- Add the chopped chillis, spring onion, lemon juice, salt and pepper, oregano, chilli powder and half the flour. Stir to combine the ingredients
- In a small dish, whisk the egg.
- Add the egg to the mixture slowly until you have a firm mixture with which you can form cakes.
- Shape the mixture into four flat cakes
- Leave to chill in the fridge for at least half an hour (this allows them to set)
- Cover both sides of the cakes in the flour, using more if needed.
- Cook the cakes on medium heat in a frying pan until they are crisp and golden (you can either do this in a non-stick pan or heat some oil and use this to cook them).