Some Filipinos had been influenced by Coloniality, where up to some dishes, we can find Spanish meals in a restaurant. However, many Filipinos love Spanish cuisine, and with this, many cafés still add Spanish meals like Calamares Rellenos. Calamares Rellenos is a traditional Spanish recipe for a classic dish of baby squid stuffed with a mix of onion, chorizo sausage, pine nuts and breadcrumbs cooked in a tomato-based sauce.
This calamares rellenos recipe is an excellent way to explore Spanish and Filipino cuisines at the same time. It’s something that you don’t see in a regular household menu, so now’s the time to try it.
With this meal, you can now have Spanish cuisine without visiting some high-class restaurants. What’s good about it is that you tried something different; you even saved cash and enjoyed it firsthand!
Saucy Calamares Rellenos Recipe
- 8 large squid
- ¼ cup ground pork
- ¼ cup water chestnut chopped
- ¼ cup ham chopped
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- 1 medium egg raw
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup margarine
- 6 cloves garlic macerated
- ¼ cup onions chopped
- ¼ cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns slightly crushed
- 1 cup water
- The first thing to do is to combine the ingredients for the squid. Stuff each squid cavity with the mixture.
- Replace the head and fasten it with toothpicks.
- Set aside, then prepare the sauce. To make a sauce, sauté the garlic, onion and tomatoes in hot margarine. Add the rest of the ingredients to the sauce and let it boil. When boiled, add the stuffed squids. Cook until squids are tender but note that squids are very quick to cook.