Sometimes when it’s cold outside, and I’m snuggled up on the couch reading my favourite Stephen King horror novel, I think to myself, “you know what would top this off perfectly? Making a HUGE mess in the kitchen and cooking myself some homemade sausage rolls!” So this is how I ended up with these Healthy Chicken Sausage Rolls.
Then I think, “No, that’s a lot of effort, just have a vegemite sandwich and stay nice and quiet, so you don’t wake up your (finally) sleeping children.”
But then I think, “Too late now! You know how great those things taste! Get up and make some magic happen!” And so I did.
Healthy Chicken Sausage RollsPrint Recipe
- 2 slices of wholemeal bread
- 160 grams of carrot, peeled and grated as you like
- 2 finely chopped spring onions
- Big handful of finely chopped baby spinach
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- Chopped up nuts
- 450 grams of chicken mince
- 3 or 4 sheets of puff pastry
- 1 teaspoon of wholegrain mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat your oven to about 180 to 200 degrees Celsius, line 2 baking trays with baking paper, and set aside.
- If you have a mixer, blend the crap out of your bread till it turns into breadcrumbs or place your already made breadcrumbs in a big mixing bowl.
- Add your mustard, spring onions, carrot, parsley and nuts to the breadcrumbs and mix together. Once it’s all nice and mixed, add in your mince and, once again, mix together.
- Cut each pastry sheet in half and divide your mince mix evenly down the centre, leaving about 2-centimetre of pastry border on either side.
- Fold over the long edges into the middle and smack them together (sometimes, I use some water down the side to help them stick). Roll the sausage roll over so its pastry seam is down, and place it on your lined baking tray.
- Cut the long roll into about 4 even pieces (this will help everything cook evenly) and lightly brush with egg. You can sprinkle sesame seeds on top of you like.
- Bake for about 20 to 40 minutes (keep checking it) or until the pastry is golden brown and cooked through.