My white chicken chili recipe has cannellini beans and minced chicken breasts in a chicken broth base. This is an easy weeknight recipe you need after a long week of work. It is like a milder, calmer cousin to Steamy and Easy Beef and Veggie Chili. You can use dry beans or canned beans and add extra chili peppers for more heat if you like!
This white chicken chili is probably one of my favorite chicken recipes. It’s delicious, easy to make, and doesn’t require much prep at all. This chili recipe consists of a blend of chicken, garlic, onion, chiles, beans, and more.
Easy White Chicken Chili RecipePrint Recipe
- 2 grilled chicken breasts, minced
- 6 sweet peppers, finely chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cans of great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of green chilies
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon of dehydrated onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of granulated garlic
- Crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- Mustard powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour mix
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 tablespoons of canola oil
1. In a Dutch oven, heat the oil and sweat the peppers, garlic and onion flakes.
2. Minced grilled chicken. I grilled my chicken breasts dusted with Montreal seasoning and granulated garlic. I cooked a whole package earlier in the week to have for dinner salads, but why not mix it up with chili! Once the garlic and peppers are softened, remove from the pan. I spooned mine out on top of the chicken.
3. Melt the butter in the dutch oven and add the flour; cook for a few minutes until the raw taste is gone. Then, add the mustard powder and crushed red pepper flakes.
4. Slowly whisk in the buttermilk. Then slowly stir in the chicken broth along with the remaining spices.
5. Let it come to a simmer, then add the green chilies, beans, chicken breast and garlic pepper mix.
6. Let simmer again for at least half an hour with the lid on. More time is definitely good, just keep an eye on the consistency and add more chicken broth if it gets too thick.
7. Top with yogurt and queso fresco or any topping you love on chili.