This Thai Beef With Basil dish is so flavorful and comes together really fast. What more could you possibly want in a recipe? If you eat meat, you need to make this for dinner tonight. If there are any leftovers, stir fry the beef and rice with a splash of soy sauce and a little dash of fish sauce and top with any leftover carrot mixture.
Savoury Thai Beef With Basil
This savoury Thai beef with basil is a must-try dish if you like Thai cuisine. Learn how to cook this Thai recipe in this quick guide.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic - thinly sliced
- 2 medium serrano chilis
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - 90% lean
- 1 teaspoon salt - to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon) - low-sodium
- 3 cups basil - divided
- 2 medium carrots - coarsely grated
- 2 sprigs green onions (scallions or green shallots) - thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons lime juice - divided
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce - low sodium
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 medium lime wedges - for serving
- 3 cups white rice - cooked
- Toss grated carrots, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, 1 chili, 1 cup of basil leaves and 1 tablespoon of oil in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 6 cloves of garlic and 1 serrano and cook for about 30 seconds, constantly stirring until fragrant.
- Add beef, season with salt and pepper. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, break up the meat with a spoon and press the meat against the dutch oven for some nice yummy char.
- Add broth, 2 cups of the basil and cook until the basil is wilted for about 2 minutes.
- Mix soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar and remaining lime juice in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.
- For serving, put 1/2 cup of rice in a bowl, top with heaping 1/2 cup of meat mixture. Divide slaw among bowls and drizzle with dressing. Serve with a lime wedge.
Calories: 553kcalCarbohydrates: 85gProtein: 24gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 1102mgPotassium: 565mgFiber: 4gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 4119IUVitamin C: 22mgCalcium: 93mgIron: 3mg
Have you tried this recipe?Please leave a rating and comment.