I’ve always stayed on the greedier side when cooking rice for meals. That is, cooking more rice and then figuring out what to do with the leftovers. You see, I scarf Beef Basil Fried Rice down like there’s no tomorrow (just a little soy/sugar or rice seasoning, and that can be a meal!), but lately, I’ve been trying to do a little bit more portion control. Now that hasn’t stopped me from cooking too much rice; now, I have to figure out something to do with it afterwards.
Usually, I cook something else and heat the leftovers, but I try my hand at fried rice from time to time. Again, one of the most critical steps is refrigerating the rice; overnight would be best. Still, I habit overcooking the leftover rice in the pan, but my technique has gotten better. You only need to warm the rice up and toss it around for about a minute to break up the rice clumps and mix everything.
More to the point, the rice and sauce go in after everything else is cooked. And remember, don’t overfill the pan! Here’s the recipe for Beef Basil Fried Rice you should try.
Beef Basil Fried RicePrint Recipe
- 2-3 quarts of cooked rice, refrigerated overnight
- 3/4 to 1 pound of ground beef
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced thinly
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1-1 1/2 cups of fresh Thai basil leaves, washed
- 3-4 Thai chillies, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3-4 tablespoons of soy sauce with 1 tablespoon of starch for marinating
- Marinate the beef in soy sauce and cornstarch for about 15 to 30 minutes.
- Mix the chillies, shallots, and garlic. If you got a food processor, you can put the mix through to make a paste.
- Heat a pan or wok over medium heat. Add some vegetable oil and then the paste. Stir and let cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the beef into the pan with a small dash of fish sauce and soy sauce. This will give the meat a little bit more flavour. Stir fry for about a minute.
- Add in the pepper and onions, stir fry for another minute until the beef is cooked.
- Add the rice and the rest of the sauce (fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar). Mix well and stir fry for about a minute.
- Add in the basil leaves, stir fry another minute and then serve with fried eggs (however you like your eggs is fine).