This was a super easy and quick dinner meal to prepare. A little twist on traditional chili with tomatoes, this Chili Verde uses salsa verde, which is a green salsa. I do make my own salsa verde and keep some on hand, but salsa verde in a jar will work as well (just check the ingredients and make sure there are not a lot of additives or salt). This Chili Verde is not a ’spicy’ chili, and you could certainly add a sliced jalapeno for a little extra kick.
The total prep/cook time was about 30 minutes, and because the recipe made 4 servings, I had enough for lunch the next day. Beats a sandwich any day of the week!
Simple And Delicious Chili Verde
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large bell pepper chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 jar salsa verde or make your own
- 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 8 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar shredded, or Mexican blend cheese
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain any fat.
- Add onion, garlic and bell pepper and spices.
- Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add the salsa verde and pinto beans.
- Heat thoroughly and serve.
- Top with some of the chopped red onions, chips, olives, corn, sliced jalapeno, and 2 tablespoons of reduced-fat cheese if desired.