This was a super easy and quick dinner meal to prepare. A little twist on traditional chili with tomatoes, this Chili Verde uses salsa verde, which is a green salsa. I do make my own salsa verde and keep some on hand, but salsa verde in a jar will work as well (just check the ingredients and make sure there are not a lot of additives or salt). This Chili Verde is not a ’spicy’ chili, and you could certainly add a sliced jalapeno for a little extra kick.
The total prep/cook time was about 30 minutes, and because the recipe made 4 servings, I had enough for lunch the next day. Beats a sandwich any day of the week!
Simple And Delicious Chili VerdePrint Recipe
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 jar salsa verde – or make your own
- 1 can of pinto beans – drained and rinsed
- 8 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef and drain any fat.
2. Add onion, garlic and bell pepper and spices.
3. Cook until vegetables are tender.
4. Add the salsa verde and pinto beans.
5. Heat thoroughly and serve.
6. Top with some of the chopped red onions, chips, olives, corn, sliced jalapeno, and 2 tablespoons of reduced-fat cheese if desired.