In making this penne casserole, you may add more vegetables if you’d like. This is a very versatile dish you can make when you are craving a savory pasta dish that will fill you up in an instant. Try this very easy recipe that’s guaranteed to leave you wanting more.
Penne CasserolePrint Recipe
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 6 ounces of mushrooms, diced
- 10 ounces of ground sirloin
- 1 28-ounce can of low-salt crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried basil
- 8 ounces of penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup of reduced-fat grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add the shallot, garlic, pepper, and mushrooms, and sauté until they begin to soften. Include the hamburger and separate as you cook until the meat is caramelized. Add the tomatoes and basil. Simmer while the pasta cooks.
- Cook the penne pasta as per package directions. Drain and return to the pot. Toss with the beef sauce.
- Spot one portion of the pasta in the base of a casserole. Top with 1/2 of the parmesan. Top with remaining pasta. Sprinkle with mozzarella and the remaining parmesan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheddar tans and the casserole bubbles.
- Serve warm.