Want something healthy for an Asian kind of roll? Try these stuffed cabbage rolls. These are healthier alternatives for your favourite starchy dim sums. These don’t lack the goodness of authentic dumplings so that you wouldn’t notice such a big difference.
Stuffed Cabbage RollsPrint Recipe
- Stuffing Ingredients
- 1 kilo of minced beef
- 1 ¼ cups of long-grain rice
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of parsley, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Roll Ingredients
- 1 large cabbage
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 cup of olive oil
- 1 litre of vegetable stock
- Salt, pepper
- Avgolemono (Egg and Lemon Mixture) Ingredients
- 2 eggs
- 1 – 1 ½ cups of lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, bring (slightly salted) water to a boil. Add cabbage leaves and simmer for 2 to 4 minutes or until softened. Drain.
- Mix the minced meat, rice, onion, parsley, olive oil, and salt and pepper.
- After it’s been mixed well, take a spoon of the mixture and place it on one of the cabbage leaves.
- Roll and secure them with toothpicks if needed. Do not worry; they do not have to be perfectly wrapped the first time you make them. The technique comes with experience.
- Place some cabbage leaves at the bottom in another large saucepan, and then layer the rolls.
- Pour olive oil and the vegetable stock until the rolls are covered. Add the carrots in between.
- Place a plate on top and cook without the lid. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 40 minutes.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and wait for 10 minutes to cool. Whilst holding the plate onto the rolls, tilt the saucepan and pour the stock into a bowl.
- Beat the eggs and slowly add the lemon juice and stock a little at a time (make sure the stock is not hot when you do this to avoid egg white pieces floating around).
- Once the lemon mixture is ready, pour over rolls as you serve them.
- This dish is usually accompanied with feta cheese and bread.