Vegetables. Mmm… this hit the spot. I love Italian dishes! This meat sauce is great over spaghetti squash or spaghetti noodles. This is a quick and healthy weeknight meal! Since this sauce is good served over squash noodles, it’s an easy meal to prepare that makes everyone happy!
Healthy Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- ½ large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 cans tomato sauce (14-ounce cans)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and microwave for 9 minutes, face down on a plate. Depending on the squash, you may need to cook it longer than 9 minutes (additional 1-minute increments seem to work well).
- While the squash is in the microwave, saute the onion in the olive oil until tender.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink (breaking into pieces with a spatula as it cooks).
- Add the 2 cans of tomato sauce to the pan along with the garlic, oregano, parsley, salt, basil and sugar.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Once the squash is done and has cooled, remove the seeds and then shred the squash into a serving bowl.
- Serve the meat sauce over the shredded squash (or over noodles for pickier eaters).