Vegetables. Mmm… this hit the spot. I love Italian dishes! This meat sauce is great over spaghetti squash or spaghetti noodles. This is a quick and healthy weeknight meal! Since this sauce is good served over squash noodles, it’s an easy meal to prepare that makes everyone happy!
Healthy Spaghetti Squash With Meat Sauce
This meat sauce is great over spaghetti squash or spaghetti noodles and is a quick and healthy weeknight meal.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- ½ large yellow onion - chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 2 cans ketchup (tomato sauce Australia and UK) - (14-ounce cans)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar (white sugar) - (optional)
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and microwave for 9 minutes, face down on a plate. Depending on the squash, you may need to cook it longer than 9 minutes (additional 1-minute increments seem to work well).
- While the squash is in the microwave, saute the onion in the olive oil until tender.
- Add the ground beef and cook until no longer pink (breaking into pieces with a spatula as it cooks).
- Add the 2 cans of tomato sauce to the pan along with the garlic, oregano, parsley, salt, basil and sugar.
- Simmer the sauce for 10 minutes.
- Once the squash is done and has cooled, remove the seeds and then shred the squash into a serving bowl.
- Serve the meat sauce over the shredded squash (or over noodles for pickier eaters).
Calories: 489kcalCarbohydrates: 38gProtein: 26gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 2021mgPotassium: 1623mgFiber: 9gSugar: 20gVitamin A: 1772IUVitamin C: 30mgCalcium: 140mgIron: 7mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!