Pineapple. Bacon. Beef. BBQ Sauce. All the essentials of this outrageously good Hawaiin BBQ Bacon Burger. Floral leis and grass hula skirts are optional but highly recommended. Add all these things together, and you get one heck of a party in your mouth (feel free to shake it in your hula skirt as well, it only adds to the experience!).
I make no apologies for my dorkiness, and I make no apologies for this perfect combination of flavours. As you are probably aware, I had my first experience with bacon a few weeks ago. I can’t say it was love at first bite, but these burgers have converted me. The combination of smoky bacon with the sweetness of the pineapple and barbecue sauce works really well to create a truly satisfying burger.
Hawaiian BBQ Bacon Burger
To me, a good burger is more than just a slab of meat. I want them to be healthy but also taste delicious. This recipe sneaks in fibre and extra nutrients with the addition of mashed pumpkin and gluten-free rolled oats, which also keep them lovely and moist. Topped off with pineapple and a drizzle of barbecue sauce, these burgers are a sweet and savoury delight.
Hawaiian BBQ Bacon Burger
- 500 grams ground beef (minced beef)
- 4 rashs bacon - free-range bacon
- 2 celery - finely diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup pumpkin - cooked and mashed
- ¼ cup oats - ground into flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce)
- ½ teaspoon Sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper - or to taste
- 2 egg white
- 6 hamburger buns
- 2 tomato - sliced with a couple of slices per burger
- 6 slices cheddar cheese - one per burger
- 6 leaves iceberg lettuce - one per burger
- 6 tablespoon BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce) - one tablespoon per burger
- Place bacon in a cold non-stick frying pan. Turn heat to medium to render the fat out of the bacon. Continue to cook for several minutes until lightly brown on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside. Once cool, trim excess fat away if you wish, and diced bacon.500 grams ground beef (minced beef), 4 rashs bacon
- Add olive oil to rendered fat in a pan and sauté celery (or onion) for 5 to 10 minutes until caramelized. Remove from pan and set aside.1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine cooked celery, bacon, and remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly with clean hands and shape into six patties.4 rashs bacon, 2 celery, ¼ cup pumpkin, ¼ cup oats, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoons BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce), 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning, ½ teaspoon Sea salt, ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, 2 egg white
- Cook burgers on the grill or in a non-stick pan for 4 – 5 minutes per side.
- Put the burgers together with buns, cheese, lettuce, tomato6 hamburger buns, 2 tomato, 6 leaves iceberg lettuce, 6 slices cheddar cheese
- Serve with pineapple slices and top with extra barbecue sauce.6 slices pineapple slices, 6 tablespoon BBQ sauce (barbecue sauce)