Who doesn’t love a steaming hot bowl of chilli con carne? Whether you are eating a hearty bowl full during winter, having a movie night sharing a platter with it dripping over the nachos or having a lunchtime snack with a jacket potato, chilli con carne is fabulous at any time.
It’s a firm favourite for all of us, but chilli isn’t the easy cook that it should be due to us liking a different amount of spice. So this is the recipe that I start with, and then as it cooks, I split the mixture and then add more heat.
Kiddy Chilli Con Carne With Homemade NachosPrint Recipe
- Chilli Ingredients
- 700 grams of steak mince
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 onion, red or white finely chopped
- 200 grams of mushrooms, sliced
- 500 ml of passata
- 1 beef stock cube
- 400 grams of tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Chilli powder, as required
- 21 dried chillis, chopped
- Nachos Ingredients
- 1 package of soft flour or corn tortilla wraps
- Sour cream
- Grated cheese
- Basmati or boiled rice
- Fry off the mince along with the onions, mushrooms and peppers. Strain off any excess fat.
- Add the passata, stock cube and kidney beans and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Divide chilli up as necessary and add chilli powder and chilli peppers as required.