This ground beef and Portobello sourdough melt is a quick and easy ground beef recipe that has a touch of class, with the Portobello mushrooms being mixed in with the meat. It makes a great lunchtime meal, and kids love it. You can also add other toppings to your burger, such as tomatoes, avocado, pineapple etc.
Ground Beef and Portobello Sourdough Melt
This ground beef and Portobello recipe makes a great lunchtime meal, and kids love it. You can also add other toppings to your burger, such as tomatoes, etc.
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef) - lean
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms - finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 5 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon thyme - fresh, chopped
- ⅓ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 slices cheddar cheese - or any of your favorite cheese
- Preheat your grill or broiler and lay some foil down on a baking tray.
- Mix together the ground beef, breadcrumbs, Portobello mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, pepper and salt. Separate the mixture to create 6 flat patties and lay them on the foil. Cook the patties – you’ll probably need around 5 minutes on each side.
- While your patties are cooking, toast your bread, then spread a small amount of garlic butter on each piece. If you don’t have garlic butter, you can rub some garlic on each piece of toast.
- Place each patty on a piece of toast. Add 2 teaspoons of your pickle relish to the top and cover with a slice of cheese. Remove the foil from the tray. If there is a lot of juice on the tray, feel free to use another one. Otherwise, place your sandwiches on the tray and place them under the grill until the cheese is melted.
- You can add a thin slice of pineapple under the cheese.
- You can spice the relish up with some chilis.
- Avocado/guacamole also works well under the cheese.
- Fry up some onions and have them either on the burger or on the side.
Calories: 528kcalCarbohydrates: 44gProtein: 28gFat: 27gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 96mgSodium: 975mgPotassium: 486mgFiber: 2gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 556IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 187mgIron: 5mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!