This beef lettuce wraps dish is so good that you could also make this recipe with ground pork, chicken or turkey – and make this meal even healthier!
Asian food is a personal favourite of mine and, in particular, the region of Southeast Asia. I love exploring new flavour profiles and the taste of red curry paste, with notes of nutmeg, clove, and a hint of coconut milk. This sauce has such a fresh yet complex taste. Making Asian meals for my family is always a success because it’s a make-your-own-meal adventure. I set out bowls with the protein, rice, sauce and lots of vegetables – that way, my children have a healthy meal and get to choose exactly what’s on their plate.
Happy cooking! I hope you like this beef lettuce wraps as much as I did!
Authentic Indonesian-Style Beef Lettuce Wraps
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg ground
- ¼ teaspoon cloves ground
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 stick cinnamon stick
- 1 bunch lettuce
- 1 large chili
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef over medium heat. Once fully cooked, drain and set the meat aside.
- Return the skillet to the stovetop.
- Add curry paste to the skillet; if there is no fat clinging to the pan after cooking the ground beef, then add ½ teaspoon of canola oil. I found when using 90% ground beef that I did not need to add any additional oil, that there was a tiny bit of oil left in the bottom of the skillet that was enough for cooking the curry paste and spices.
- Over medium heat, stir curry paste for a few seconds until fragrant. Add Kosher salt, ground nutmeg and ground cloves. Mix to combine and allow the spices to “bloom” – cooking the spices in hot oil to release the flavours.
- Turn heat to low and add the coconut milk. Whisk to combine, and then add the cinnamon stick. Mix the ground beef back into the skillet and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Transfer beef mixture and sauce to a serving bowl. Top with chopped chili.
- Serve with lettuce to wrap.