It has been a bit hectic at my house and hot, so I’ve been going back to simple suppers that I used to cook years ago. My favourite, which I learned from my mother in law, is eggplant topped with a mixture of ground beef and veggies, served with rice. Some versions of this recipe call for frying the eggplant, but I have tried to lighten it up by roasting it. I love this Armenian Style Eggplant With Ground Beef dish because it is tasty and includes three vegetables.
Armenian Style Eggplant With Ground BeefPrint Recipe
- 2 medium eggplants or 1 large cut into 1-inch thick rounds
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- 1 pound of ground beef
- 8 ounces of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt, plus additional for salting eggplant
- Slice eggplant and season with salt, set aside while you cut up tomato and green pepper in a small dice and chop garlic.
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil on each sides and put on a tin-foiled baking sheet that has been coated with cooking spray of your choice. Put in the oven that has been heated to 400 degrees for approximately 20 minutes. Eggplant should be lightly browned and soft.
- Meanwhile, sauté chopped garlic in olive oil, added green peppers and tomatoes, and added ground beef and salt. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Add tomato sauce and allow to simmer for a few minutes more. The mixture will resemble sloppy joe.
- Place eggplant rounds on each dish and top with ground beef mixture. Serve with rice. Add a salad and bump your veggie count even higher.