Making your own bread is simple and fun! Nothing compares to a freshly baked bread from your oven, especially when it’s filled with fresh Middle Eastern flavours, like spice-infused yoghurt, char-grilled marinated lamb pieces, or in this case, these appetizing chilli patties.
This dish is always a big hit at the dinner table and is devoured in no time by even my most prominent critics – the children.
Appetizing Chilli Patties and Freshly Baked Pita Pockets
Love Middle-Eastern cuisine? These appetizing chilli Patties and Freshly Baked Pita Pockets are a must-try! Check out the easy steps to prepare them.
Pocket Bread Ingredients
- 2 ½ cups flour - wholemeal
- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 ½ cups water - lukewarm
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Chilli Bean Patties Ingredients
- 1 pound ground beef (minced beef)
- 400 grams cannellini beans
- 2 stall spring onions - trimmed and chopped
- 1 clove garlic - chopped
- ¼ cup parsley - chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon - peel, grated
- ¼ cup flour - self-raising
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (coriander) - ground
- 1 medium red chili (red chilli in British English) - deseeded and chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil - for shallow frying
Pocket Bread Instructions
- Add yeast, water and sugar in a bowl and rest for 5 minutes until yeast activates, and the mixture appears frothy. Add to flour and mix well to form a soft dough, then knead for 10 minutes before setting aside to rise for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees Celsius. When the dough has risen, knead lightly (just for a minute or so), divide into 12 equal portions, and roll each portion into a ball.
- Use a rolling pin to roll balls out to 5-millimetre thickness, brush with water and rest for 20 minutes.
- Before placing pita bread into the oven, make sure they are still moist, brush any that have dried out with extra water and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Place pita bread onto a lightly oiled, preheated tray and bake for 4 to 5 minutes, the bread will appear soft and light in colour and will swell, forming a hollow centre.
Chilli Patties Instructions
- Place the beans, spring onions, garlic, lemon rind, cumin, coriander, black pepper, chilli and olive oil into a food processor and pulse everything until combined.
- Remove mixture from processor and place into a mixing bowl, then add the meat, sesame seeds and flour and mix well.
- Form tablespoons of the mixture into small patties using floured hands to prevent sticking, then place patties onto non-stick baking paper.
- To cook, heat olive oil in a frypan over medium heat. Cook patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- When the chilli patties are golden brown, remove from the pan and rest on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.
- Stuff warm pita pockets with a salad of cucumber, chopped tomato, capsicum, lemon juice and olive oil, crispy chilli bean patties and homemade hummus. Squeeze over lemon juice for extra tang, and enjoy.
Calories: 587kcalCarbohydrates: 68gProtein: 30gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0.5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 601mgPotassium: 525mgFiber: 8gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 235IUVitamin C: 4mgCalcium: 104mgIron: 8mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!