This past weekend we were travelling, and while we got home earlier on Sunday, it still usually makes for a long Monday. So, knowing that I would be tired and probably still feeling the guilt of all the desserts I ate over the weekend, I decided it was a good night to try something new for dinner, ground turkey tostadas. So, after a good run, I made ground turkey tostadas, and they were so yummy and just what I needed to make my Monday better!
This ground turkey tostadas recipe is an excellent light way to get your Mexican fix without too many calories! Of course, these also would be great to pair with a skinny margarita, but that was not necessary after the fun we had this weekend!
Ground Turkey TostadasPrint Recipe
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground chipotle chile pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 1/2 cup of salsa
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas
- Iceberg lettuce and reduced-fat cheese to top
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add onion and garlic until onion softens.
- Add the rest of the seasonings (cumin, chipotle, and cinnamon)
- Add ground turkey and cook until turkey is no longer pink
- Add salsa, water, and salt and cook until thickened, then add lime juice
- Place tortillas in the oven on oven rack and bake 5 minutes until slightly crisp
- Add ground turkey mixture to tortillas and top off with lettuce, cheese, salsa, and low-fat sour cream if desired!