Asian Meatball Noodle Soup is an easy, light and healthy dish made flavorful with items I keep on hand. I find Asian food so satisfying due to its marriage of salty, spicy, and sometimes sweet flavours. I keep soy sauce, sesame oil, panko, and noodles stocked in my pantry for quick, tasty meals.
Fresh ginger tastes lighter and sharper than powdered and is easy to keep on hand in a ziplock in the freezer. Grate what you need and put it back in the freezer until next time. I was introduced to Memmi soup base when my friend Kumiko made for us a quick summer noodle dish that was light and delicious.
I keep that on hand in the refrigerator now, too. I have not found Memmi in the grocery store near me. You can find it in the Asian market if your regular store does not carry it. Personally, I will never use packaged ramen with the flavour packet again in this Asian Meatball Noodle Soup! This is just as easy and so much better. Enjoy!
Asian Meatball Noodle SoupPrint Recipe
- 1 pound of ground turkey
- 2 scallions, sliced thinly
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- A generous tablespoon of freshly grated ginger
- 1 package of Chinese lo-mein noodles, Soba noodles, or Udon noodles
- 1 part of Kikkoman Memmi noodle soup base to 12 parts water or 1/4 cup soup base to 3 cups water
- Large handful of fresh spinach leaves
- Large handful of sugar snap peas, sliced on the bias into 3 or 4 pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine ground turkey, sliced scallions, panko, soy sauce, sesame oil, and ginger in a large bowl. Shape into 12 to 15 small meatballs.
- Space evenly in a baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until meatballs spring back to the touch. Do not overcook; ground turkey can quickly become dry.
- While meatballs bake, prep spinach and sugar snaps, bring water to a boil in a large pot. Combine soup base with water in a large glass measure and heat to almost boiling in the microwave.
- When meatballs are done baking, set them aside to rest while you finish the soup. Drop noodles into boiling water, and just a few minutes before they are done, drop in sugar snaps with the noodles.
- When noodles are finished, drop spinach in and stir until wilted. Veggies should be bright green. Pour everything into a colander to drain, divide between 4 bowls, top with 3 meatballs each, divide all of the Memmi over the four portions and serve hot.