This mushroom and lamb calzone is a good dish you can try instead of having unending pizza. It’s delicious and so fun to make. It’s best when served hot and with a side of soda. It’s the perfect snack when you crave something savoury.
Delightful Mushroom and Lamb Calzone
- 3 large portobello mushrooms
- ½ pound ground lamb (minced lamb)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly cook the lamb in a spot of olive oil in a pan. It should still be about 50% pink. Set aside the lamb keeping the leftover juices in the pan.
- Finely chop up the garlic and let cook slightly on medium heat. Roughly chop up the mushrooms in large chunks, approximately 1 inch. Add the mushrooms to the garlic and cook until the mushrooms stop releasing water/steam.
- Whisk up 2 eggs and sour cream until combined. Add the fresh chopped parsley, parmesan, and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Roll out the pastry dough and place it on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the mustard on half of the pastry, leaving a 1/2 in a border.
- Add the mushrooms to the egg mixture and combine until the mushrooms are well coated.
- Place the lamb on top of the spread mustard. Next, add the egg and mushroom mixture. Be careful as the egg may run.
- Carefully fold over the other side to form a half-circle. This may be tricky, especially if your mushrooms were not thoroughly cooked and watered down the egg mixture.
- Fold over the bottom dough over the top and pinch together. You may need to use a little water to act as glue between the edges of the dough.
- Once thoroughly pinched together and the calzone is sealed, beat up the remaining egg to use as an egg wash. This will make the pastry dough have a golden and flaky like appearance. Brush over the top of the calzone. Use a fork to poke holes at the top to allow steam to escape.
- Place in the middle of the oven for 20 minutes or until the crust is nice and golden.