This Greek calzone is always great because it tastes just as good reheated as it did fresh out of the oven. The calzone is also nice because I can freeze each piece separately and pull out a small portion for dinner with salad and vegetables.
Here is the recipe for the famous calzone, thanks to my mother.
Great Greek CalzonePrint Recipe
- 1/2 pound of ground lamb
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 1 package of feta cheese
- 1 or 3 small Roma tomatoes
- 1 package of mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup of Greek olives
- Frozen pizza dough
- You get frozen pizza dough and let it thaw. After the dough is thawed, you stretch it out and roll it into a flat piece of dough.
- Once the dough is all set up, you put the toppings on half of the dough. After all the toppings are sitting on the dough, you take the other half of the dough and fold it over to make the calzone.
- Once the calzone has been cooking for about 10 or 15 minutes, you can add spices and a little drizzle of olive oil on the top for taste. Cook for about 30 minutes or until done.
- Once the calzone is done, dip in cucumber sauce for the authentic Greek feel.
- A simple way to make cucumber sauce is with sour cream, cucumbers, and lemon.