Lamb Kofta Meatballs. Kofta is the name for a Middle Eastern or South Asian meatball. I had a pound of ground lamb in the freezer, and something about the meat being lamb instead of beef inspired me to go Middle Eastern. I also had vague notions of wanting to make a yogurt sauce.
So after digging around online for a little while, I cobbled together this recipe from various sources. It was so good!! My family and friends loved it, and despite the slightly exotic taste of the spices in these Lamb Kofta Meatballs, the kids in our household also gobbled down these meatballs! We’ll definitely be making this again.
In addition to being a tasty dinner, the Lamb Kofta Meatballs and dipping sauce would also make great finger food for a party!
Authentic Lamb Kofta Meatballs With Yogurt Mint Sauce
- 1 pound ground lamb
- ½ small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend.
- Select a large baking tray and line with parchment paper.
- Form the meat mixture into small balls (approximately 1-inch diameter) and place them on the baking tray.
- Grill on high for about 8 minutes a side, or until meatballs are just starting to brown and crisp).
- Serve with Yogurt Mint Sauce and pita or tortilla bread.