My dad is the king of leftovers- whatever is left gets added to the next day’s menu. And it really does taste better the next day! But for whatever reason, I can’t perfect the leftover. Good thing, I learned to make this easy Italian chicken soup that he used to make at home.
I figure the easiest way to get broth in my family and eat cheap and healthy is with soup. And I want to start by making them very easy.
So here is the rich and delicious chicken soup that I perfected from my dad’s original Italian chicken soup recipe.
Easy Italian Chicken Soup Recipe
This easy Italian soup recipe is a must-try. It's a rich soup that can satisfy you in one serving.
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 12 ounces tomato - crushed
- 1 quart chicken stock (chicken broth or chicken bouillon) - fat-free and organic
- 2 handfuls spinach
- ¼ cup quinoa - rinsed
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme, and sometimes basil and parsley)
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- In a large stock pan, cook chicken in 1 teaspoon of butter until browned.
- Add the salt, pepper and garlic powder while the chicken is cooking.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer until the quinoa is cooked (about 20 minutes).
Calories: 379kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 39gFat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0.01gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 813mgPotassium: 1203mgFiber: 8gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 2198IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 103mgIron: 4mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!