I think we can agree that most of us enjoy a little Mexican-inspired fiesta once in a while! However, tonight I was craving something along the lines of tacos and came up with this healthier version that I call lettuce wrap tacos.
These lettuce wrap tacos are filled with fresh ingredients, so you won’t feel guilty devouring this snack. I love that I can easily make these at home as the ingredients are pretty common.
I love having this when I want a Mexican-inspired party at home. I think this can also be Asian-inspired; you just need to use Asian seasonings and flavourings.
Fresh Lettuce Wrap Tacos
- 450 grams ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 2 teaspoon chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ½ medium white pepper - sliced
- ½ medium orange bell pepper (orange capsicum) - sliced
- ½ medium red pepper (red capsicum) - sliced
- 1 medium tomato - minced
- 1 large yellow onion
- ¼ cup corn
- 1 large avocado
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add in the thawed ground chicken with 2 teaspoons of chili powder. Cook until done (no sign of pink through the chicken). Add a pinch of ground sea salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from the heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive to the skillet and sauté vegetables for 8 minutes on medium-high heat (yellow pepper, red pepper, orange pepper, 1/2 onion) and add 1 clove of crushed garlic.
- While these are sautéing, prepare your ‘salsa’. Mince the onion, tomato, frozen corn, and avocado and combine in a bowl with 2 tsp lime juice and 1 clove of crushed garlic. Add a pinch of ground sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cooked ground chicken back into the skillet with the mixed vegetables and cook for another 3 minutes on low-medium heat.
- Add your sautéed vegetables, salsa, and chicken to your lettuce wrap and enjoy.