This chicken burrito bowl is everything you need! I like to put each veggie in a different serving bowl and let my kids pick how much of each topping they want – it makes it fun and gives them ownership over their meal choices. Check out the very easy recipe here.
Hearty Chicken Burrito Bowl with Quinoa
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock (vegetable broth or vegetable bouillon)
- 2 cups ground chicken (minced chicken)
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cans black beans - rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - diced
- 1 medium cucumber - diced
- 1 cup green beans - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli - chopped
- 1 cup spinach - chopped
- 6 sprigs green onions (scallions or green shallots) - thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado - cubed
- 1 cup cilantro (coriander) - finely chopped
- Make the quinoa: (Wash/rinse quinoa if it’s not already pre-washed). Add 2 cups broth to 1 cup quinoa. Boil, reduce heat and cover, then let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, spray a medium pot with a bit of olive oil or about 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil, turn to medium heat. Add the chicken and wait for it to brown.
- Chop your onion and throw it in, cooking for about 3- to 5 minutes until translucent. Add black beans, cumin, chilli powder and salt. Cook on medium heat for additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now prep all those raw veggies. It’s okay if everything is not done at the time. The quinoa and the black beans could happily sit in their pots for a couple of hours, and the black beans would benefit from sitting in the spices longer.
- When everything is ready, divide quinoa into 5 equal portions (if preparing for the week, or keeping track of portion size or calories, otherwise just put some in a bowl), followed by the black beans, then the veggies and a hearty sprinkle of cilantro on top.
- Put a little of your favourite salad dressing on top (optional).