This chicken burrito bowl is everything you need! I like to put each veggie in a different serving bowl and let my kids pick how much of each topping they want – it makes it fun and gives them ownership over their meal choices. Check out the very easy recipe here.
Hearty Chicken Burrito Bowl with Quinoa
Love burrito bowls? Try this chicken burrito bowl with quinoa and be surprised with its goodness. This healthy bowl recipe is the perfect way to kick off a busy day.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock (vegetable broth or vegetable bouillon)
- 2 cups ground chicken (minced chicken)
- ¼ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 cans black beans - rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder (chilli powder in British English)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 medium red pepper (red capsicum) - diced
- 1 medium cucumber - diced
- 1 cup green beans - cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli - chopped
- 1 cup spinach - chopped
- 6 sprigs green onions (scallions or green shallots) - thinly sliced
- 1 medium avocado - cubed
- 1 cup cilantro (coriander) - finely chopped
- Make the quinoa: (Wash/rinse quinoa if it’s not already pre-washed). Add 2 cups broth to 1 cup quinoa. Boil, reduce heat and cover, then let simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, spray a medium pot with a bit of olive oil or about 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil, turn to medium heat. Add the chicken and wait for it to brown.
- Chop your onion and throw it in, cooking for about 3- to 5 minutes until translucent. Add black beans, cumin, chilli powder and salt. Cook on medium heat for additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now prep all those raw veggies. It’s okay if everything is not done at the time. The quinoa and the black beans could happily sit in their pots for a couple of hours, and the black beans would benefit from sitting in the spices longer.
- When everything is ready, divide quinoa into 5 equal portions (if preparing for the week, or keeping track of portion size or calories, otherwise just put some in a bowl), followed by the black beans, then the veggies and a hearty sprinkle of cilantro on top.
- Put a little of your favourite salad dressing on top (optional).
Calories: 558kcalCarbohydrates: 62gProtein: 33gFat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0.1gCholesterol: 77mgSodium: 934mgPotassium: 1592mgFiber: 17gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 2487IUVitamin C: 62mgCalcium: 114mgIron: 6mg
How did this recipe turn out for you?We’re eager to hear your thoughts!