For most people, summertime means breaking out the grill for everything from steaks to pineapple. Unfortunately, I don’t own a grill. But that doesn’t mean I can’t make a fine burger! I found this recipe of broiled chicken burgers a couple of years ago and adapted it to our preferences.
Spinach and onions keep the ground chicken moist while each side of the burger sizzles beneath the broiler. Top with sautéed bell peppers, and you won’t even miss the bun!
How To Make The Juiciest, Tastiest Broiled Chicken Burgers
First, line a baking sheet with foil and grease lightly. Then prepare your mix-ins. If you are using fresh spinach, run it under hot water until it starts to wilt. Give it a rough chop and move it to a medium-sized bowl that will hold all the burger ingredients. Frozen spinach is also great—use whichever you have on hand.
Next, chop your onion, garlic, and cilantro. Add these to the bowl with the oats and seasonings. Then add the ground chicken and stir with a fork until well-combined. At this point, you may want to set your broiler on high to let it preheat. Also, make sure the top rack is about 6 inches below the heating coils.
Then shape your burgers. I like to score the meat into quarters in the bowl as this helps me make four patties of equal size. Pat the meat out until it is about 1/2 inch thick. Place the burgers on the prepared baking sheet and slide them onto the top rack. Broil for about 6-7 minutes per side.
While the burgers cook, preheat a tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Quickly slice the bell peppers and add them to the skillet. They should sizzle immediately. Cook for 3-5 minutes until the peppers are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a bowl.
Don’t forget to flip your burgers! Because I am wary of chicken germs, I usually wash my spatula after the first flip. When the burgers have fully cooked, top them with the peppers and dig in! Of course, you can serve these on a bun, but they are delicious as is.
We had the burgers with a tomato avocado salad. These would also be tasty with sweet potato fries, steamed broccoli, or sautéed squash and onions. The best thing about this broiled chicken burgers recipe is you can make them all year round!
Healthy Broiled Chicken Burgers with Sautéed Peppers
- 1 pound ground chicken (minced chicken)
- 2 ounces baby spinach
- ½ small onion
- 1 clove garlic - minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro (coriander) - chopped
- 2 teaspoons Balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup oats - quick cooking
- 1 teaspoon salt - to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper - to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Line a baking sheet with foil and grease lightly.
- Mix chicken, spinach, onion, garlic, cilantro, oats and seasonings in a medium-sized bowl. Form into four patties about 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat the broiler on high. Arrange top rack about 6 inches from heating coils. Broil burgers for 6-7 minutes per side, or until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, sautée sliced bell peppers in olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Cook for 3-5 minutes until tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top the burgers with bell peppers and enjoy!